Fall is here…with a freakin’ vengeance! Tomorrow is Halloween. One of blog followers asked when I would do another food blog. It’s been a long time. I just haven’t been cooking or had the desire. I pulled 90 hours two weeks in a row. I’m not saying I worked 45 hours each week….NO…I worked 180 hours. I barely have the energy to shower! I sure haven’t done any exercise.
So I’m watching this lovely waistline of mine by fixing my oh-so-delicious white chicken chili, watching it grow. This shit is da bomb, if I do say so myself…and I do! And it’s keto friendly for all of my keto dieting followers and friends! (Recipe is at bottom)
I started by boiling a pound of chicken boobies. I sautéed onions and minced garlic in a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan large enough to hold your chili. I use one of my Le Creuset saucepans and it cooks perfectly each time.
The remainder of ingredients are gathered and awaiting the proper time to add.
Boil the chicken until no longer pink. I cut my chicken boobies into strips so they would cook faster and I could monitor the pinkness of the meat. This makes a huge difference to me. Once they are cooked, shred and set aside.
After the onions are sautéed to your liking without burning the garlic, add 16 oz. of chicken broth. Then add the following: 2 cans of drained and rinsed northern beans and 2 cans of green chilis. The following spices I do not measure: ground cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and optional cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper is truly optional so if your person, or family, does not like spicy, omit or use sparingly.
Bring all of this to a boil. I give it a good stir at boiling point. Then cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add chicken and stir.
Next you will add 8 oz of whipped cream cheese. I have used a regular block of cream cheese, as well. However, the whipped gives it a bit of a lighter taste. The choice is truly up to you. Also add 8 oz. of sour cream. I go full fat for this as I want a much creamier taste. (I know my keto followers would do this, as well!)
It will take a bit to blend the cream cheese and sour cream. Just be patient. It is worth the wait to make sure all are mixed perfectly.
I strongly recommend making sure all of the creams do not have any clumps. Once everything is completely blended you can serve immediately.
I made this to eat tomorrow night for Halloween…chilly night to enjoy chili. haha. I’ll pop my Le Creuset in my fridge once it’s completely cooled and just put on stove tomorrow to a slower warmup rather than nuking. Another thing to point out is this freezes beautifully…so double the recipe and freeze that bitch! xoxo
I really do love this recipe and I hope you give it a whirl. Till next time…Peace out, Trout!
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8oz sour cream
- 8oz whipped cream cheese
- Heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic in butter until cooked down.
- Boil chicken until no longer pink, remove from broth, let sit for a few minutes to cool down, shred chicken.
- Mix Great Northern beans, chicken broth, green chilies, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors have blended, about 45 minutes. Add Chicken.
- Remove chili from heat; stir in sour cream and whipped cream cheese until incorporated. (This step can take a while)